Follow Professional Tipsters

Monday 19 October 2015

The Wonderful World of Breeding (Part 2 of 4) - Firing Blanks?


Can you imagine paying out over £6,000,000 for a yearling sired by an in fashion stallion, putting it into training, and then find out it is so slow it can’t be put on a race course and to add insult to injury find out it is also a dud when it comes to stud duties being sterile! His sire was Northern Dancer.



                      

No I can’t imagine either but it happened to the owner of Snaafi Dancer. You just cannot tell what nature will do despite human intervention to improve stock through breeding.

I decided to take an excursion into the subject of breeding. Lots of good things to read about, nice winners from different stallions and dams but I also came across the not so good as regards inbreeding. Some of what I read does make one wonder.

I went over lists of stallions at various studs and chose 6 I remember from their racing days in the UK. I was somewhat taken aback at the sirings? (Is that a permitted word?). All had either one or more lines that went back Galileo, Sadlers Wells, and Northern Dancer. Northern Dancer appearing more than once. I realised blood stock lines would need a lot of time and research to figure it all out. A life time might not be enough!

Eclipse - one of the UK’s earliest sires

I then meandered over to the USA. 400,000 race horses end their careers every year. So where do they end up? Only a fraction got re-trained; eventing, dressage, hunting.

I am going to take a look at both these factors another time. Watch this space for what I find.













No comments: